Preparing for interviews
is important to prepare yourself physically and psychologically
for your upcoming interview.
Interviews can be formal with a structured list of specific questions,
or it may be informal, with more open-ended questions. This depends
on the interviewer's style and the type of position that you are
being interviewed for.
Be prepared for behavioural-based questions. For example,
you may be asked to describe your methods of achieving results.
The purpose of these types of questions is to predict future performance
based on your previous accomplishments, as well as how you re-act
to different situations within the workplace.
The questions asked, actually provides you with an opportunity to
sell yourself. Take the time to think about why you are being asked
a specific question and strategise a response accordingly.
Below are some questions which may assist you in preparing for that
Examples of Interview Questions:
- Describe your work experience?
- What job functions and tasks do you enjoy most and which do
you enjoy least in your current work environment?
- Describe your strengths?
- What would you describe as your weaknesses? (Answer from a
skills perspective, ie. something that the employer can develop)
- Where do you see yourself in 2 years time?
- Can you tell me about one of your recent achievements at work?
- Tell me about a challenging project you worked on?
- What would you highlight as "the achievement" thus
far in your life?
- What motivates you in your personal life and in the workplace?
- How would your current or previous employer describe you?
- Do you have preference for any type of work?
- What character traits do you value most in others?
- How would your colleagues describe you?
- How do you feel about your career progress to date?
- Do you have plans to study further?
- What is your current salary? What are your salary expectations?
- What is your reason for wanting to leave?
Examples of Questions relating to the Position:
- Exposure to financial modeling
- Your management style
- How would you generate new business?
- What is your approach to cold calling, relationship calling,
and long-term relationship management?
- Describe your most challenging management responsibility?
- What kind of marketing events have you lead, managed, or designed?
Examples of Questions relating to the Company :
- Tell me about our organization
- What contributions can you make to this organization?
- Tell me about our competitors
- What attracted you to this position?
- Why should I hire you?
- Do you have a geographic preference? Why?
Examples of Behavioural-Based Interview Questions:
- Analytical/Problem Solving Skills - Describe how you
managed a challenging situation? Who were the other people involved?
- Time Management & Organisational Skills - How do
you ensure effective time management? What frustrations have you
encountered in managing your time?
- Project Management Skills - How do you track progress
on delegated projects that you are responsible for?
- Communications and Presentation Skills - Describe a
situation where you had to present a new concept to an audience.
How did you gauge your effectiveness in getting your audience
to understand the idea?
- Selling Skills - How do you identify customer needs?
Give an example of how you achieved those needs and expectations.
What is the highest level to which you have sold?
- Influencing Skills - Give me an example of when you
have had to sell a tough idea. How did you go about it and what
were the results?
- Results Orientated - Provide examples of how you have
measured your achievements.
- Strategic Thinking - When did you set-up a new process
or revamp an old one? What prompted the re-design? How did you
- Change Orientation - Describe an innovation you introduced
into your current organization. How did you implement it?
- Training/Coaching - How would you handle an uncooperative
The following positions are based in South Africa,
unless stated otherwise. Foreign nationals applying for positions
within South Africa will require a valid South African work permit.
For information regarding South African work permits refer to the
South African Department of Home Affairs
(follow the scarce skills link), www.accurateimmigration.com (follow
the South Africa link).